Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Planting Time

It's that time of year again.  In fact, I'm probably a little late--as usual.  It's time to get our garden started indoors so that we can put plants out this spring.


I really like to garden.  Notice I didn't say, "I'm really good at gardening." The last two consecutive years I have not eaten a single tomato out of my own garden... it's a bit pathetic, I know.  I can grow cucumbers, and other things that don't require a green thumb (or time and attention, which I sorely lack for my garden).  And then, there's the small issue of my garden helper, who loves to pick tiny green tomatoes... Do you think that's affecting my success?

My parents are really successful gardeners, and I keep thinking that I must have inherited--or at least absorbed--some of their talent.  Perhaps not.  Perhaps I should've paid more attention growing up to what I thought was a totally antiquated practice.  Anyway, now it's my turn to teach my children.

Ellis was most helpful planting the seeds.
 
Taking a little snack break from planting.


 I'd really like to pick a nice, red, juicy tomato from my garden someday, but regardless of the outcome I enjoy gardening with my family.  I like teaching Ellis about how seeds grow and where our food comes from.  I want the boys to be able to grow their own food someday, if they're so inclined.  So for the third year, I'm starting our garden from seed in February.  Cross your fingers that our garden can withstand my neglect and Ellis' overzealous picking tendencies!

All right, now grow!

And you, too, mister!

No comments:

Post a Comment