Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Revisiting Childhood

The boys and I have been spending some time in my hometown, visiting family and places from my upbringing. Being in those spaces and places has me flooded with memories of what it felt like to be a child. It has prompted me to reflect on what childhood is like and will be like for Ellis and Oliver. In some ways, I think we're right on track; in other ways, I wish things were different.  While we cannot orchestrate a "perfect" childhood for our children, we can be mindful of how we live and how our day-to-day lives add up to become our children's memories.

{One of the wide open spaces of my childhood, my cousins' backyard}

Childhood is wide open spaces.
Childhood is running fast.
Childhood is spinning around.
Childhood is imaginary friends.
Childhood is clouds shaped like rabbits.
Childhood is family.
Childhood is unconditional love.
Childhood is security.
Childhood is a playhouse.
Childhood is the shade of a weeping willow.
Childhood is memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment