Friday, May 11, 2012

More Than One Thing

Here's the deal: I am more than one thing.  People want to put me in a box, in a category, slap a label on me.  But I am a multifaceted human being.  I'm not saying I'm so unique or special.  I mean, I am in that I'm myself and that's unique and special (thanks, Mom), but not unique in that everyone else is too.  Here's a little rundown in case you're wondering what I mean:

I'm a mother.  I need my mother.
I'm a wife.  I'm a lover.
I'm a Christian.  I'm also a Democrat (and I think Jesus would be too).
I'm straight.  I am an ally.
I am beautiful.  Except when I'm not.
I'm a feminist.  I have no desire to be the CEO.  Not even VP.
I am patient and kind.  Except when my fiery temper flares.
I'm quiet and shy.  I want my voice to be heard.
I am a country girl, born and raised.  I can drive on the interstate with only my iPhone to guide me.
I am a vegetarian, homebirthing, herb-consuming, breastfeeding hippie.  I love Sephora and J.Crew.
I am one of those mothers.   I'm also one of those mothers.
I am strong; I birthed two babies drug-free.  I want to cry when I stub my toe.
I am brave.  Except when I'm anxious and petrified of loss.
I am a critical thinker.  I'm gullible sometimes.
I am inspired.  I am bored.
My greatest strengths are also my greatest weaknesses.

Don't be put into a box.  Be a smart consumer.  Think critically.  And if you see a sexy mother breastfeeding on the cover of Time magazine, lump me in the same category as her.  Except... don't.




No comments:

Post a Comment