Friday, May 25, 2012

Whatta Man

I read recently that one of the keys to a long marriage is to brag about your spouse--openly and obviously, and preferably where your spouse can hear you. Eric and I are coming up on our 8th wedding anniversary, and I want to have many, many more anniversaries, so I'm going to do some bragging on the world-wide web, y'all!

















For starters, Eric works hard for us. He is ambitious and driven. Also, he's freaking hilarious. He can make me laugh like no one else. And he can fly*.

The thing that makes me melt more than anything, though,  is seeing Eric as a father to our kids. I'm so grateful for the loving, tender, and compassionate way that he fathers the boys. As The Smith's song** says, "It takes guts to be gentle and kind."
My husband has guts.



Here's a small sampling of the ways in which Eric has taken care of us lately:
  • Staying up late to fix a toilet clogged by a foreign object (of the toy truck variety) placed there by our curious 3-year-old.
  • Standing up for Ellis when our [adult] neighbor questioned our decision to paint his toenails.
  • Removing a dead bird from the grill of my car because I was too squeamish to do it.
  • Educating critical friends about our decision to practice Attachment Parenting.
  • Taking time out after a long, busy day at work to play "hopscrotch" with Ellis.
  • Leaving a baseball game in the 5th inning because the boys had had enough.
  • Comforting me when a nest full of baby birds that the kids and I had been watching for weeks, all perished (and then doing dead bird duty once again).

Sometimes it's big things, sometimes it's the little things, but in all things, Eric is striving to take good care of us.

Whatta man, huh?






*Except that I don't like to fly with him.  Nothing personal.
**It's a sappy break-up song.  That line is the only good part, in my humble opinion.




4 comments:

  1. Eric is a great guy! :) It doesn't hurt that he has a great wife, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I'm disturbed that Eric had to defend Ellis wanting his toes painted and YOUR decisions to parent your child with a specific style. People amaze me. Are they affected by either of those things? Nope, but of course they have to chime in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree on both counts. Eric is a great dad from what I've seen. And people need to mind their own business. Seriously. The kid's three. What's the big deal?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, right? He's 3. They're green. It's no big deal. Thankfully, Ellis was pretty oblivious to the whole exchange.

    ReplyDelete